For the past 23 years, the Yonsei Basketball Association has provided an opportunity for middle school-aged youth to learn about the importance of Japanese culture, family values, and community participation. These experiences will surely play an important role in the development of the character in our youth.
Yonsei will be awarding a $1500 Sue Kamiyama scholarship, as well as three $1000 scholarships this year. AMNET-USA, who has been coordinating the travel-related arrangements for the Yonsei Organization for many years, is supporting the youth of our communities by funding one of these; the others are provided by The Kiboh Giving Circle and Changing the Community.
We will be awarding the scholarships to deserving high school seniors who best exemplify the Yonsei philosophy of academic excellence and community service. The following are the qualifications for the scholarships:
- High School graduate in May/June 2017, with an overall grade point average of at least 3.0. The GPA recognized by Yonsei is based on 4.0 maximum numbering system. Plus and minus grades are not recognized, nor are extra points given for special college courses taken (i.e. Advanced Placement). GPA shall be based on the final grades received in the 10th and 11th grades and the first semester of the 12th grade. Transcripts must be included to verify the GPA.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate community service in the Southern California area.
- Two (2) letters of recommendations must be submitted, one of which must be from a community service organization in which the applicant actively participates or has participated during high school years. Letters of recommendation should not be from a person related to applicant. To help facilitate our scholarship process, please have those writing letters of recommendation reference applicant’s name only in the upper right hand corner of each letter.
- Applicant will have to attend an accredited college or university. Recipient will receive the scholarship check after verification of enrollment.
- Completed applications must be postmarked by May 5, 2017.
Note: Participation in the Yonsei Basketball Association is not a requirement. All qualified high school graduates are eligible to apply.
Completed application, transcript, and two letters of recommendation should be sent to:Yonsei Basketball Association Scholarship Program c/o Ken Mui 4343 Rhodes Ave. Studio City, CA 91604
Scholarships will be presented at the Annual Yonsei Golf Tournament dinner on June 19, 2017, where scholarship recipients and their parents will be our invited guests.
If you have any questions, comments or need additional information please contact Ken Mui: 818-766-4740 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.